I went to Budapest almost exactly a year ago and my boss is going next week, so I wrote up some recommendations for him. I was only there for a few days (one of which was spent in my hotel bed, sick) but it was one of my favorite cities I’ve ever visited and I’d love to go back.
I figured I might as well share my recommendations with my anonymous internet friends, in case any of you are planning to go. It’s beautiful (reminds me of Paris), affordable (about 200 forints to the dollar) and not as clogged with tourists as other European cities (cough, Prague). If you’re lucky enough to check it out, here’s what you should do:
- Stay at Le Meridien. It’s in a great location and ridiculously affordable for a 5-star hotel. It’s probably the nicest hotel I ever have or ever will stay in.
- Take a boat cruise on the Danube for an hour or two. There are lots of different cruise companies that do it.
- Have dinner at Cafe Kor.
- Go to Gerbaud for dessert.
- Take a bus tour and take in the awesome view at the top of Gellert Hill (like I’m doing in the picture above).
- Walk around City Park, it’s beautiful.
- Get coffee at one of the ubiquitous Coffee Heaven locations. I think they’re even better than Starbucks and I kinda want to open one in the U.S.
- My family went to the zoo while I was sick in bed. They got to pet a camel and was so sad I missed it.